These are some of the comments received from clients of Aspire 4 Health:
“In the spring of 2011 I had to retire on the grounds of ill-heath due to chronic neck and lower back pain. After several months I happened to see a flyer for one of Lee’s “over 50’s” Exercise classes and decided to give it a go, with low expectations of what I would be able to do or achieve. I was impressed by Lee’s enthusiasm for his work, by his extensive knowledge of anatomy etc. and his skill in explaining how a particular exercise would aid posture, balance or gait, for example. As the weeks and months progressed I found I was able to perform the exercises more effectively, my stamina increased and slowly the chronic pain lessened. When I suffered a set-back with my back, he gave me a series of specific exercises to do and I paid to have some one-to-one sessions with him.
I have now attended Lee’s classes for over four years and intend to continue. I do not believe it is an exaggeration to say that if I had known about Lee ten years ago, I would probably not have had to retire prematurely due to chronic pain.”
“When I asked Lee to provide personal training for me, I had suffered with pain in my right shoulder for 10 years from doing office work. I also had pain in my knees. Lee analysed my posture amongst other things and gave me a exercise regime. After a couple months of exercise the pain in both my shoulder and knees disappeared and I have not had the pain again in the past 3 years. I have no hesitation in recommending Lee.”
I’ve been working with Lee for about 3 months now and he has worked wonders in reducing the impact of problems I had related to thoracic surgery, which had left me with considerably reduced fitness and flexibility. We began with a very detailed assessment and subsequently.I have seen him regularly for personal exercise sessions.
He has significantly improved my mobility, flexibility and confidence. His depth of knowledge and experience in terms of physiology and exercise is tremendous and his enthusiasm and caring manner have helped me maintain my involvement and subsequent progress.
“My daughter in law arranged for me to have a consultation with Lee at Aspire4health. He came to my home and he became my personal trainer. Within weeks following his programme I was fitter and leaner than I had been for many years. He is a true inspiration! I started my regime with lee aged 53 which proves you’re never too old. I developed an autoimmune disease 3 years ago and lee gave me sound advice and now I am free from it. If you want a personal trainer or to go to a class, give lee at aspire4health a go. You won’t look back.”
“I have been having treatment from Lee for the past 18 months on both my knees. I had had a partial left knee replacement in 2013 and was struggling with pain, due to extra pressure on my right knee this also was replaced in March this year. During this period I saw Lee twice a week. At these sessions Lee taught me exercises that reduced the pain by building up muscles to support my knees which has proved to be most beneficial. I now attend a hour long exercise class that Lee holds in Cottingley Town Hall on a Tuesday morning 10 till 11am, which is great fun as well as keeping the rest of my body fit and healthy.”
“I completed a range of training with Lee including sports conditioning and strength training. The sports conditioning training is highly recommended for anyone looking for that competitive edge in sport. My sports fitness improved a huge amount when training with Lee. Another key point was to work on my pace, which was developed by Lee teaching me a better sprinting style. My agility was also improved with a range of tailored exercises. The culmination of the training meant that level at which I was playing football was vastly enhanced.”
“Knowledgeable, confident and passionate about health and fitness. If you’re looking for support to improve your health and wellbeing, want to get fit and need motivation, you’re in safe hands. If I have needed advice or a new approach I’ve always had a good, honest response. The testimonials speak for themselves. Well done all at Aspire4health, keep up the good work Lee.”
“Lee is a real pro. He’s concerned about you and your long term health goals not just shifting a bit of flab. He invests LOTS of time researching the science behind health and fitness and turns it into programmes that you’ll get the benefit of. After working with Lee, I’ve learned more about my particular requirements and some of the smartest ways to train – as well as unlearning all the exercises I really shouldn’t do. Can’t recommend him highly enough.”
“Lee has a very different approach to training which means every session is relevant to you, what you want and how your body is feeling that day. I’ve had several trainers but have seen undoubtedly the best results with Lee. His enthusiasm and commitment are infectious and his in depth knowledge of the human body & how it works is amazing.”
“Came needing knee surgery and after intensive and innovative work carried out by Lee Smith which enables me to protect the affected area via mobility, stability and strength work I’m now not in the pain I was and almost back to football. If you want to achieve your goals and not be hampered by repeat injuries .. Aspire4Health.”
“After retiring from work after 40+ years, long working hours and a very sedentary lifestyle I decided I needed to make sure I was as fit as I could to enjoy as long and as active a life as was possible! Since I started working with Lee about four months ago I have dropped two dress sizes, am much more active and have greater flexibility and strength than I have had in a very long time. Just as important is the boost to my confidence, I now know that I can achieve anything I set my mind too – which includes a parachute jump that I am now working toward!
I’ve learned age is but a number and not a barrier so my bucket list has got longer since starting my fitness programme with Lee. Thanks Lee!”
“I joined Lee’s Cottingley [“Fitness Beyond 50”] group in February 2010 , just needing to build up my personal fitness , , and energy levels.
Fortunately , for me, I haven’t had to overcome serious illness or injury, but needed help with small things……a painful shoulder or knee, or foot. But I think it’s important to stress that the
group in Cottingley is special because he can always advise on the correct treatment for any part of the body. He is highly qualified in health and fitness.
We know we are getting the best possible advice, served up with an infectious sense of humour. Thank you for the laughs too Lee. They make it a special ” Happy Hour “
“I’ve been working with Lee on and off for many years. After my third cartilege repair op, Lee worked with me to build up the muscles around my knees and I was soon able to walk the South Downs Way (about 110 miles) in 5 days without any problems.
More recently, following a microdiscectomy and a broken foot, Lee has worked with me on both strength and flexibility, so that I can continue to have a super-active lifestyle. Despite the injuries, most people say they can’t believe I’m a grandma of 7! Lee’s training helps me be confident in my body and keeps me fit and youthful!”
“I have been training once a week with Lee for about a month and going to one of his fitness classes each week. I feel very much looser and mobile already as a result.
Lee has given me the confidence to believe in my abilities. Each week I have achieved something new and this has done wonders for my self confidence.
Lee approaches the whole fitness regime in an holistic way. He is well read in the latest scientific thinking and is keen to share nutritional information and ideas.
I have hesitated for years about personal training as I’m very overweight, have COPD and AF, but…don’t leave it for ages as I did, phone Lee now…and start making that difference to your life. You definitely won’t regret it!”
“If you want to improve your general health, fitness and make the best of your abilities I cannot think of a better way than to give Lee a ring or go to one of his advertised classes.
You will never regret it. I know as an overweight diabetic he has worked wonders for me.”
“Besides helping with postoperative rehabilitation from an injury several years ago Lee has also helped me keep up general levels of fitness and “fight the flab” (which unfortunately feels like a never-ending battle these days) !”
“My husband and I used Aspire4Health services to improve our general fitness levels. Our individual needs were assessed to identify our weaknesses and build on our strengths. We benefitted greatly from the high level of skill and knowledge Lee had in relation to physical fitness training. He did truly inspire us to improve our health status. Thank you Lee”
• A 40-something successful business man
• Happily married
• 6 children (all boys ages 4 to 23)
• In total control of everything in my life except my health
My Problem – A Few Years Ago
• Having a busy family and business life has meant that over the years I’ve let myself go without really noticing it
• Perhaps 10 to 15 years went by with no thought to my health whatsoever (late 20’s when I was indestructible like all 20-somethings until very early 40’s)
• I work very long hours
• I get very little sleep
• I eat like a hog
• I smoke like a chimney
• I’m badly out of shape
• I’m terribly overweight
• I’m about as flexible as a length of 4 by 2
• I have long term back issues (related to sitting in a chair for such long hours)
• Everything I do is a struggle and more and more am I noticing the effects of not taking care of myself
• It was really only once I hit my 40’s that I knew I had to start thinking about change
My First Attempts at Change
• Smoking – Aside from a period of abstinence several years ago, I tried to stop at 40’ish – I failed
• Eating – I love food and lots of it and all at the wrong end of the day; I joined a well-known diet group; I saw a little success very quickly but ultimately failed and was back to where I started within a couple of months
• Exercise – I joined a gym, saw a little success for perhaps 4 to 6 week but the gym always felt like a chore that got in the way of business and so I failed
My Wake-up Call
• Just over 2 years, my back gave out and I was laid up for 17 days (I literally did not move for the whole 17 days), as a result I ended up with a DVT
• Now whist the DVT was not really a result of me not taking care of myself (it was being so still for so long that caused that it), it was a wake-up call that I have to take action and sort myself out
My New Journey
• I started by stopping smoking
• Next I acquired a Treadmill Desk – sounds weird but they do really work and are a godsend if you spend a lot of time sat in a chair in front of a computer
• In spite of stopping smoking and acquiring the Treadmill Desk, I knew I needed to somehow get more motivation because of all my failed attempts at exercise, mobility and weight loss in the past.
• I went on-line and searched for Personal Trainers, I found plenty but one in particular stood out from the crowd, it was Aspire4Health.
• Aspire4Health looked the most promising because of the lead trainers qualifications which are over and above what I associated with personal trainers; according to the website this guy knew his stuff and was offering more than just the usual “get on the floor and give me 20” type of thing I imagined
• I was given a free consultation where my current overall health and lifestyle were discussed and a plan of action was put in place to steadily help me get to where I need to be
• Given my business life, the thing I lack most is movement through the day, since working with Aspire4Health I learned dozens of simple exercises that can be done (most without any sort of equipment) that have greatly improved my overall mobility
• I’ve been advised on diet and nutrition and on many subjects related to my health and in particular my age-old back issue
• I do 90% of my sessions from the comfort of my own home because this fits in easily with my business life and so it never feels like a chore
• I occasionally visit the private, purpose built gym in Bingley to use the available equipment and in particular for back decompression sessions
• Their lead trainer “Lee”, is always on-hand whenever I need him and offers a plethora of advice about my health and general well being
• My fitness and well-being program is constantly adapting to take into account how I’ve been feeling, how much sleep I’ve had, how much work I’ve been doing and what aches and pains I may have at any given time
The “New-ish” Me
• I’ve still a 40-something
• I’ve still a way to go on this journey but overall and in general I am in much better condition than I was
• I generally eat much better and for the most part at the right time of day
• I move around a lot more than I used to and I walk between 25 and 50 miles a week (I used to walk perhaps 1 mile a week 2 years ago)
• My mobility has significantly improved
• I’ve lost just over 4 stone in weight
• I generally feel much better both physically and about how I look and combined these two factors have greatly improved my general sense of well-being and I’m a lot happier with myself these days than I’ve been for a very long time
• In conclusion then, I’d say utilising the services of Aspire4Health has been one of the best personal decisions I’ve ever made and my general health and well-being are worlds apart from what they were a couple of years ago
• I continue to do weekly sessions with Aspire4Health and plan to do so for the foreseeable future
• I unreservedly recommend Apsire4Health if you are serious about improving your health and well-being”
Craig – 40-something
“I can confirm Lee’s approach really works I am losing weight & toning up with a mixture of flexibility strengthening & conditioning exercises. Almost back to running after achilles injury.”